Currently browsing category

Damascus City, Page 3

Damascus – Madrasa Selimiyeh
دمشق – مدرسة سليمية

Madrasa Selimiyeh (مدرسة سليمية) is religious school from the Ottoman period that is attached to the larger al-Tekiyeh al-Suleimaniyeh Mosque (جامع التكية السليمانية) complex. It was built during the reign of Sultan Selim II (سليم ثانى), who ruled from 1566-1574 after succeeding Sultan Suleiman I. The complex is constructed around a large courtyard with a central fountain. On the southern end is the small prayer …

Damascus – al-Madrasa al-Jaqmaqiyeh
دمشق – المدرسة الجقمقية

al-Madrasa al-Jaqmaqiyeh (المدرسة الجقمقية) is a beautiful Mamluk-era religious school that now houses the Museum of Arabic Calligraphy (متحف الخط العربي). The building was constructed between 1419 and 1421 under the rule of Seif al-Din Jaqmaq al-Arghunshawi (سيف الدين جقمق الأرغونشاوي), then governor of Damascus (دمشق). He would later become the eleventh Mamluk Sultan of Cairo (Egypt), where he ruled from 1438 until 1453. He …

Damascus – al-Darwishiyeh Mosque
دمشق – جامع الدرويشية

The modest but attractive al-Darwishiyeh Mosque (جامع الدرويشية) is located just beyond the western edge of the old city of Damascus (دمشق). It was constructed between 1572 and 1575 by the Ottoman governor of Damascus (دمشق), Darwish Pasha, who held the position from 1571 to 1571. His tomb is in a small octagonal domed building on the southern side of the complex, joined to the …

Damascus – Nur al-Din al-Shahid Mosque
دمشق – جامع نور الدين الشهيد

Hidden away in the markets of the old city of Damascus (دمشق) is Nur al-Din al-Shahid Mosque (جامع نور الدين الشهيد), the final resting place of Nur al-Din Mahmoud Zenki (نور الدين محمود زنكي). His father, Amad al-Din Zenki (عماد الدین زنكي‎), ruled over the regions of Aleppo (ﺣﻠﺐ‎), Hama (حماة‎), Mosul (الموصل), and Edessa (modern Şanlıurfa in Turkey) as part of the Seljuq Empire …

Damascus – al-Zeitoun Church
دمشق – كنيسة الزيتون

al-Zeitoun Church (كنيسة الزيتون), located in the Bab Sharqi (باب شرقي) neighborhood of the old city of Damascus (دمشق), is the seat of the Greek Catholic patriarchate and one of the most attractive churches in the city. The church was built in 1833-1834 after Sultan Mahmoud II (محمود الثاني) eased restrictions placed upon Christians under the Ottoman Empire that prohibited the construction of new churches. …

Damascus – Madrasa Abdullah al-Azem
دمشق – مدرسة عبداللة العظم

Madrasa Abdullah al-Azem (مدرسة عبداللة العظم) was a religious school constructed in 1779 by Abdullah Basha al-Azem (عبداللة باشا العظم), member of the prominent al-Azem (العظم) family. Several members of this family held powerful positions in Syria and Lebanon during the Ottoman period. Abdullah Basha al-Azem (عبداللة باشا العظم) first served as the governor of Aleppo (حلب) beginning in 1794 and later transferred to Damascus …

Damascus – Murad Basha Mosque
دمشق – جامع مراد باشا

Murad Basha Mosque (جامع مراد باشا) is one of the more interesting mosques located beyond the walls of the old city of Damascus (دمشق). The mosque was erected by and named after Murad Pasha, who served as the Ottoman governor of Damascus between 1568-1569. This area of the city, southwest of the old city, saw significant development during the Ottoman period as a stopover point …

Damascus – Saint Paul Church
دمشق – كنيسة القديس بولس

Saint Paul Church (كنيسة القديس بولس) is a Greek Catholic chapel constructed from the remains of Bab Kissan (باب كيسان), the historic southeastern gate to the old city of Damascus (دمشق). Except for a few stones incorporated into later constructions, nothing remains from the original Roman gate, which was once connected to Bab Touma (باب توما) by a cardo (north-south street). Nur al-Din (نور الدين‎) …

Damascus – al-Fathiyeh Mosque
دمشق – جامع الفتحية

al-Fathiyeh Mosque (جامع الفتحية) is a beautiful Ottoman-era mosque in the charming old city neighborhood of al-Qaimariyeh (القيمرية), popular for its coffee shops and restaurants. The mosque was constructed in 1743 under Fathi Bin Mohammed Bin Mohammed Bin Mahmoud al-Hanafi al-Qalaqansi (فتحي بن محمد بن محمد بن محمود الحنفي القلاقنسي), an Ottoman treasury official. The building follows the traditional Ottoman architectural plan. An arcaded portico …

Damascus – Seidi Hisham Bin Ammar Mosque
دمشق – جامع سيدي هشام بن عمار

Seidi Hisham Bin Ammar Mosque (جامع سيدي هشام بن عمار) was constructed in 1426-1427 under the Mamluk chancellor of Damascus (دمشق) at the time. The most impressive feature of this mosque is the magnificent octagonal minaret which is decorated with fine muqarnas work, arched windows on four sides, and a balcony at the top. While the minaret of this mosque is in remarkably good condition, …