Currently browsing tag

أيوبي, Page 2

Damascus – Turbeh Araq
دمشق – تربة آراق

Turbeh Araq (تربة آراق) was constructed in 1349 as a burial place for Araq Bin Abdullah al-Salhadar (آراق بن عبد الله السلحدار), a governor of Safad (Palestine) during the Mamluk period. Located in the historic southern neighborhood of al-Midan (الميدان), the building is particularly impressive for its façade, on the eastern side of the building. The decorative stonework features turquoise faience inlay above an entry …

Damascus – al-Madrasa al-Rukniyeh
دمشق – المدرسة الركنية

al-Madrasa al-Rukniyeh (المدرسة الركنية), also known as al-Rukniyeh Mosque (جامع الركنية), is a religious school and mausoleum that dates back to the Ayyubid period. The building, as well as the residential neighborhood to the northeast, is named after Rukn al-Din Mankuris al-Faliki al-Aadili (ركن الدين منكورس الفلكي العادلي). He was a servant and companion of Falik al-Din Suleiman al-Aadili (فلك الدين سليمان العادلي), who was …

Damascus – al-Madrasa al-Mershadiyeh
دمشق – المدرسة المرشدية

al-Madrasa al-Mershadiyeh (المدرسة المرشدية) is an Ayyubid-era religious school and mausoleum located in the northern Damascus (دمشق) district of al-Salhiyeh (الصالحية). It was constructed in 1252 in honor of Khadijeh Khatoun (خديجة خاتون), the daughter of Ayyubid ruler al-Maazem Sharaf al-Din Aisa (المعظم شرف الدين عيسى). After her death in 1526, Khadijeh Khatoun (خديجة خاتون) was buried here. The complex is also known as Madrasa …

Damascus – Faroukh Shah Mosque
دمشق – جامع فروخ شاه

This small Ayyubid-era mosque and tomb is curiously located in the center of a modern shopping complex attached to the Four Seasons Hotel. While much modernization of Damascus (دمشق) has come at the cost of the city’s cultural heritage, here it was seen fit to incorporate an ancient site into this 21st century development Faroukh Shah Mosque (جامع فروخ شاه) was built to house the …

Aleppo – Aleppo Citadel
حلب – قلعة حلب

One of the most incredible fortifications in Syria, and the whole of the Middle East, is the magnificent Aleppo Citadel (قلعة حلب). Located on a naturally formed hill at the center of the old city, the site has been in use since at least the 3rd millennium BCE. It was referenced in cuneiform tablets from Ebla (ايبلا) and Mari (ماري), and a recently excavated temple …

Aleppo – Mashhad al-Saqat
حلب – مشهد السقط

Mashhad al-Saqat (مشهد السقط), located on the eastern slope of Jebel Joushan (جبل جوشن) in the west of Aleppo (حلب), is an important Shia shrine and place of pilgrimage. According to tradition, as the prisoners of the Battle of Karbala (Iraq) were being transported through Aleppo, one of the wives of Hussein had a miscarriage. The deceased child was named Muhasin and buried at this …

Aleppo – al-Naqteh Mosque
حلب – مسجد النقطة‎

al-Naqteh Mosque (مسجد النقطة‎), located on the eastern slope of Jebel Joushan (جبل جوشن) in the west of Aleppo (حلب), is an important Shia shrine and place of pilgrimage. The shrine contains a stone that, according to tradition, caught drops of blood from the head of Hussein. The son of Ali and grandson of Mohammed, Hussein was killed in the Battle of Karbala (Iraq), and …

Aleppo – al-Sultaniyeh Mosque
حلب – جامع السلطانية

Construction of al-Sultaniyeh Mosque (جامع السلطانية) began under al-Zahar Ghazi Bin Salah al-Din al-Ayoubi (الظاهر غازي بن صلاح الدين الايوبي), the Ayyubid ruler of Aleppo (حلب) and Mosul (Iraq) from 1186 until 1216. Born in 1172, al-Zahar Ghazi (الظاهر غازي) was the third son of Salah al-Din Yousef Bin Ayoub (صلاح الدين يوسف بن أيوب‎). He was given control of this northern area of the Ayyubid …

Hama – Great Mosque
حماة – جامع الكبير‎

Great Mosque of Hama (جامع حماة الكبير‎) is the most impressive religious site in the city, despite being almost entirely reconstructed after the 1982 conflict. Dating back to the 7th century, the mosque was converted from a Byzantine church under Abu Aabideh Bin al-Jarah (أبو عبيدة بن الجراح) during the Umayyad period. That 6th century church was converted from an even earlier Roman temple, originally …

Homs – Citadel & City Walls
حمص – القلعه و جدران المدينه

Remains of the Homs Citadel (قلعه حمص), located southwest of the old city, appear to be of Ayyubid origin. The fortifications were restored during the Mamluk period under the rule of Baibars (بيبرس), but were largely destroyed in the 1830s when the forces of Mohammed Ali Basha (محمد علي باشا‎) put down a rebellion against his rule. Several towers survive in varying states of preservation, …