Currently browsing tag

جامع الاطروش

Aleppo – al-Atroush Mosque
حلب – جامع الاطروش

al-Atroush Mosque (جامع الاطروش) is one of the finest Mamluk-era mosques in the old city of Aleppo (حلب). Construction of the mosque began in 1403 under the rule of Aqbagha al-Zahari (آقبغا الظاهري) and was completed under his successor, Damerdash (الدمرداش). The façade on the western exterior of the mosque is of particular interest, richly decorated with a tall muqarnas entrance portal and a series …