Currently browsing tag

صلخد

Salkhad
صلخد

Salkhad (صلخد), a predominantly Druze town to the southeast of al-Suweida (السويداء), has had a long history dating to pre-Islamic times. The remains visible today date mostly from the 13th century. Most striking of these is the Ayyubid citadel built in 1214-1247, about the same period as the fortification of the amphitheater in Bosra (بصری). Both were to serve as southern defenses of Damascus (دمشق) against …