Currently browsing tag

مملوكي, Page 2

Damascus – Tankiz Mosque
دمشق – جامع تنكز

Tankiz Mosque (جامع تنكز‎), located to the west of the old city of Damascus (دمشق), has a magnificent minaret that is one of the finer examples of Mamluk architecture in Damascus (دمشق). The building was constructed in 1317-1318 by the Mamluk governor of Damascus (دمشق), Tankiz (تنكز), who ruled from 1312-1340. Previously, this site had been the location of the Church of St. Nicholas. The …

Damascus – al-Qasab Mosque
دمشق – جامع القصب

al-Qasab Mosque (جامع القصب), also known as al-Aqsab Mosque (جامع الاقصاب), is named after the sugar cane which once grew along the Barada River (نهر بردى) in this area north of Bab al-Salam (باب السلام‎) just outside the old city of Damascus (دمشق). The mosque was originally constructed in 1234 under the rule of al-Sultan al-Malak al-Ashraf Moussa Ibn al-Ayoubi (الملك الأشرف موسى الأيوبي‎ السلطان‎) …

Damascus – al-Maalaq Mosque
دمشق – جامع المعلق

al-Maalaq Mosque (جامع المعلق) was constructed by al-Amir Barad Beik al-Jakmi (الأمير برد بيك الجكمي) in 1519. The name of the mosque translates to “the hanging mosque”, reflecting its location overlooking the Barada River (نهر بردى) just beyond the old city walls of Damascus (دمشق). While many Mamluk-era mosques were built upon older places of worship, this mosque was newly constructed during the period. The …

Damascus – al-Tinabiyeh Mosque
دمشق – جامع التينبية

al-Tinabiyeh Mosque (جامع التينبية) is perhaps the most visually striking of several mosques located in the historic southern neighborhood of al-Midan (الميدان). This mosque was constructed in 1394 for the Mamluk governor of Damascus (دمشق), Seif al-Din Tanibak al-Husseini (سيف الدين تنيبك الحسيني), who ruled the city from 1392 through 1400. Within the complex is a mausoleum containing the benefactor’s tomb, a common practice during …

Damascus – Turbeh Araq
دمشق – تربة آراق

Turbeh Araq (تربة آراق) was constructed in 1349 as a burial place for Araq Bin Abdullah al-Salhadar (آراق بن عبد الله السلحدار), a governor of Safad (Palestine) during the Mamluk period. Located in the historic southern neighborhood of al-Midan (الميدان), the building is particularly impressive for its façade, on the eastern side of the building. The decorative stonework features turquoise faience inlay above an entry …

Damascus – al-Shadhbakiyeh Mosque
دمشق – جامع الشاذبكية

al-Shadhbakiyeh Mosque (جامع الشاذبكية) was constructed in 1453 and named after its founder, Seif al-Din Shadhi Bek (سيف الدين شاذي بك). The complex includes his tomb and also served as a religious school. The building was restored in 1816 during the Ottoman period, and again in 1986. The entrance to the mosque, on the eastern side of the building, has a decorated façade including black …

Damascus – Manjak Mosque
دمشق – جامع منجك

Having been heavily modernized in recent decades, Manjak Mosque (جامع منجك) is barely recognizable as a historic building from the exterior. However, the mosque actually dates back to the Mamluk period. It was constructed in the early 15th century under Nasr al-Din Mohammed (ناصر الدين محمد), the son of Ibrahim (إبراهيم) and the grandson of the Mamluk governor Seif al-Din Manjak (سيف الدين منجك). The …

Damascus – Sabil al-Khazneh
دمشق – سبيل الخزنة

An interesting monument located near the western Bab al-Jabiyeh (باب الجابية) in the old city of Damascus (دمشق) is the Mamluk-era Sabil al-Khazneh (سبيل الخزنة). This public fountain was endowed by al-Amir Seif al-Din Jarkas (الأمير سيف الدين جركس), a grand chamberlain of Damascus (دمشق) under the Mamluks, in 1405. Above the fountain are Arabic inscriptions and a decorative arch. The moldings inside the arch …

Aleppo – Aleppo Citadel
حلب – قلعة حلب

One of the most incredible fortifications in Syria, and the whole of the Middle East, is the magnificent Aleppo Citadel (قلعة حلب). Located on a naturally formed hill at the center of the old city, the site has been in use since at least the 3rd millennium BCE. It was referenced in cuneiform tablets from Ebla (ايبلا) and Mari (ماري), and a recently excavated temple …

Aleppo – Great Mosque
حلب – جامع الكبير‎

The Great Mosque of Aleppo (جامع حلب الكبير‎) is the largest and most well-known religious monument in the old city of Aleppo (حلب). Construction of the original mosque at this site began under al-Walid Bin Abd al-Malik (الوليد بن عبد الملك‎), the Umayyad caliph from 705 until his death in 715. The building was completed during the reign of his successor and brother, Suleiman Bin …