Currently browsing tag

مملوكي, Page 3

Aleppo – Old Houses
حلب – البيوت القديمة

One of the major attractions of Aleppo (حلب) is the city’s traditional residential architecture. Throughout the old city and the neighboring historic district of Jdeideh (جديدة) are beautiful residences dating back to the Mamluk and Ottoman periods, and in some instances even earlier. Dozens of these historic buildings had been converted into hotels, cafes, restaurants, and offices in recent decades, providing the opportunity for visitors …

Aleppo – al-Bimaristan al-Arghuni
حلب – البيمارستان الارغوني

One of the most fascinating historic monuments in Aleppo (حلب) is the Mamluk-era psychiatric hospital known as al-Bimaristan al-Arghuni (البيمارستان الارغوني). This remarkable institution was one of the first of its kind, providing care for individuals with a variety of mental illnesses at a time when Europeans viewed such people as being possessed by evil spirits. The hospital operated from the 14th century until as …

Aleppo – al-Rumi Mosque
حلب – جامع الرومي

al-Rumi Mosque (جامع الرومي), sometimes referred to as Mankali Bagha Mosque (جامع منكلي بغا), was constructed in 1365 under Seif al-Din Mankali Bagha al-Shamsi (سيف الدين منكلي بغا الشمسي), the Mamluk governor of Aleppo (حلب) at the time. Seif al-Din Mankali Bagha al-Shamsi (سيف الدين منكلي بغا الشمسي) would later become the commander of the Mamluk armed forces. He played a critical role in the …

Aleppo – al-Atroush Mosque
حلب – جامع الاطروش

al-Atroush Mosque (جامع الاطروش) is one of the finest Mamluk-era mosques in the old city of Aleppo (حلب). Construction of the mosque began in 1403 under the rule of Aqbagha al-Zahari (آقبغا الظاهري) and was completed under his successor, Damerdash (الدمرداش). The façade on the western exterior of the mosque is of particular interest, richly decorated with a tall muqarnas entrance portal and a series …

Aleppo – al-Tuashi Mosque
حلب – جامع الطواشي

al-Tuashi Mosque (جامع الطواشي) was constructed in 1372 under Safi al-Din Jouhar al-Alaai al-Tuashi (صفي الدين جوهر العلائي الطواشي), a local Mamluk prince, and was later renovated in 1537. The building features a fairly austere open courtyard with a large fountain. There is a modest domed prayer hall to the south. The lightly decorated octagonal minaret is located on the eastern side of the courtyard. …

Aleppo – al-Qiqan Mosque
حلب – جامع القيقان

The curious al-Qiqan Mosque (جامع القيقان), located at the western edge of the old city of Aleppo (حلب), sits atop an ancient archaeological mound known as Tel al-Aqabeh (تل العقبة‎). This area was incorporated into the city of Aleppo (حلب) during the Hellenistic period, when the city was known as Beroea. Prior to this Tel al-Aqabeh (تل العقبة‎) was an independent village. While al-Qiqan Mosque …

Aleppo – al-Safahiyeh Mosque
حلب – جامع السفاحية

The Mamluk-era al-Safahiyeh Mosque (جامع السفاحية) is located near the center of the old city of Aleppo (حلب). The mosque was constructed in 1425 under Ahmad Bin Salah Bin Ahmad al-Safah (أحمد بن صالح بن أحمد السفاح) and also served as a religious school. The building received substantial restorations in 1925. al-Safahiyeh Mosque (جامع السفاحية) is unique for its particularly tall and slender entrance portal. …

Aleppo – Hammam Yalbugha
حلب – حمام يلبغا

One of the most impressive public baths in Syria is Hammam Yalbugha (حمام يلبغا), located in the old city of Aleppo (حلب) just south of the Aleppo Citadel (قلعة حلب). The baths were originally constructed in the mid-14th century, but were destroyed in 1399 when Timur sacked the city. The baths were later restored by Seif al-Din Yalbugha al-Nasiri (سيف الدين يلبغا الناصري), the Mamluk …

Hama – Great Mosque
حماة – جامع الكبير‎

Great Mosque of Hama (جامع حماة الكبير‎) is the most impressive religious site in the city, despite being almost entirely reconstructed after the 1982 conflict. Dating back to the 7th century, the mosque was converted from a Byzantine church under Abu Aabideh Bin al-Jarah (أبو عبيدة بن الجراح) during the Umayyad period. That 6th century church was converted from an even earlier Roman temple, originally …

Hama – al-Nuri Mosque
حماة – جامع النوري

al-Nuri Mosque (جامع النوري) was constructed in 1163 during the reign of Nur al-Din Mahmoud Zenki (نور الدين محمود زنكي). Acknowledging the important role that Hama (حماة) played in establishing his rule over both Aleppo (حلب) and Damascus (دمشق), Nur al-Din (نور الدين) endowed the city this mosque. He also had several monuments damaged in a 1157 earthquake rebuilt. The mosque was expanded during the …