Currently browsing tag

Aleppo Region, Page 2

Aleppo – Armenian Orthodox Church of Forty Martyrs
حلب – كنيسة الأربعين شهيدا للأرمن الأرثوذكس

An Armenian presence in the city of Aleppo (حلب) dates back to the short-lived Armenian Empire in the 1st century BC. Armenians have had a significant community in the city since the 14th century, their population exceeding 100,000 by the early 20th century. The oldest church serving that community is the Armenian Orthodox Church of Forty Martyrs (كنيسة الأربعين شهيدا للأرمن الأرثوذكس), located in the …

Aleppo – al-Rumi Mosque
حلب – جامع الرومي

al-Rumi Mosque (جامع الرومي), sometimes referred to as Mankali Bagha Mosque (جامع منكلي بغا), was constructed in 1365 under Seif al-Din Mankali Bagha al-Shamsi (سيف الدين منكلي بغا الشمسي), the Mamluk governor of Aleppo (حلب) at the time. Seif al-Din Mankali Bagha al-Shamsi (سيف الدين منكلي بغا الشمسي) would later become the commander of the Mamluk armed forces. He played a critical role in the …

Aleppo – al-Atroush Mosque
حلب – جامع الاطروش

al-Atroush Mosque (جامع الاطروش) is one of the finest Mamluk-era mosques in the old city of Aleppo (حلب). Construction of the mosque began in 1403 under the rule of Aqbagha al-Zahari (آقبغا الظاهري) and was completed under his successor, Damerdash (الدمرداش). The façade on the western exterior of the mosque is of particular interest, richly decorated with a tall muqarnas entrance portal and a series …

Aleppo – Mashhad al-Saqat
حلب – مشهد السقط

Mashhad al-Saqat (مشهد السقط), located on the eastern slope of Jebel Joushan (جبل جوشن) in the west of Aleppo (حلب), is an important Shia shrine and place of pilgrimage. According to tradition, as the prisoners of the Battle of Karbala (Iraq) were being transported through Aleppo, one of the wives of Hussein had a miscarriage. The deceased child was named Muhasin and buried at this …

Aleppo – al-Naqteh Mosque
حلب – مسجد النقطة‎

al-Naqteh Mosque (مسجد النقطة‎), located on the eastern slope of Jebel Joushan (جبل جوشن) in the west of Aleppo (حلب), is an important Shia shrine and place of pilgrimage. The shrine contains a stone that, according to tradition, caught drops of blood from the head of Hussein. The son of Ali and grandson of Mohammed, Hussein was killed in the Battle of Karbala (Iraq), and …

Aleppo – al-Sultaniyeh Mosque
حلب – جامع السلطانية

Construction of al-Sultaniyeh Mosque (جامع السلطانية) began under al-Zahar Ghazi Bin Salah al-Din al-Ayoubi (الظاهر غازي بن صلاح الدين الايوبي), the Ayyubid ruler of Aleppo (حلب) and Mosul (Iraq) from 1186 until 1216. Born in 1172, al-Zahar Ghazi (الظاهر غازي) was the third son of Salah al-Din Yousef Bin Ayoub (صلاح الدين يوسف بن أيوب‎). He was given control of this northern area of the Ayyubid …

Aleppo – Greek Catholic Church of Our Lady
حلب – كنيسة السيدة للروم الكاثوليك

The Greek Catholic Church of Our Lady (كنيسة السيدة للروم الكاثوليك) is one of the largest churches in the historic Jdeideh (جديدة) neighborhood of Aleppo (حلب). Construction of the church began in 1834 and was completed by 1843. This was during the reign of Sultan Mahmoud II (محمود الثاني), who had eased a number of restrictions placed upon Christians by the Ottoman Empire, including a …

Aleppo – Armenian Catholic Church
حلب – كنيسة الأرمن الكاثوليك

The Armenian Catholic Church (كنيسة الأرمن الكاثوليك) is located on the northern side of Farhat Square (ساحة فرحات) in the historic Jdeideh (جديدة) neighborhood of Aleppo (حلب). Construction of the church began in 1823 and was completed by 1832. This was during the reign of Sultan Mahmoud II (محمود الثاني), who had eased a number of restrictions placed upon Christians by the Ottoman Empire, including …

Aleppo – al-Tuashi Mosque
حلب – جامع الطواشي

al-Tuashi Mosque (جامع الطواشي) was constructed in 1372 under Safi al-Din Jouhar al-Alaai al-Tuashi (صفي الدين جوهر العلائي الطواشي), a local Mamluk prince, and was later renovated in 1537. The building features a fairly austere open courtyard with a large fountain. There is a modest domed prayer hall to the south. The lightly decorated octagonal minaret is located on the eastern side of the courtyard. …

Aleppo – al-Qiqan Mosque
حلب – جامع القيقان

The curious al-Qiqan Mosque (جامع القيقان), located at the western edge of the old city of Aleppo (حلب), sits atop an ancient archaeological mound known as Tel al-Aqabeh (تل العقبة‎). This area was incorporated into the city of Aleppo (حلب) during the Hellenistic period, when the city was known as Beroea. Prior to this Tel al-Aqabeh (تل العقبة‎) was an independent village. While al-Qiqan Mosque …