al-Atroush Mosque (جامع الاطروش) is one of the finest Mamluk-era mosques in the old city of Aleppo (حلب). Construction of the mosque began in 1403 under the rule of Aqbagha al-Zahari (آقبغا الظاهري) and was completed under his successor, Damerdash (الدمرداش). The façade on the western exterior of the mosque is of particular interest, richly decorated with a tall muqarnas entrance portal and a series of recessed window frames with detailed stone carvings. At the base of the minaret is an inscription attributing the construction of the mosque to Aqbagha al-Zahari (آقبغا الظاهري).
The austere but peaceful courtyard is entered from the northern side. To the right of the entrance is the burial chamber of Aqbagha al-Zahari (آقبغا الظاهري), a small square room covered with a dome that rests on four honeycombed corners. The prayer hall, to the south, is divided into five broken-vaulted segments supported by a row of four columns. The tall octagonal minaret features two balconies. The mosque was restored in 1922 and may also be referred to as al-Damerdash Mosque (جامع الدمرداش).
Getting There: al-Atroush Mosque (جامع الاطروش) is located approximately two hundred meters south of the Aleppo Citadel (قلعة حلب) and one hundred meters south of Hammam Yalbugha (حمام يلبغا) and the governor’s office in the old city of Aleppo (حلب). If approaching from the entrance of the castle, head southeast beyond al-Sultaniyeh Mosque (جامع السلطانية) and look for the impressive façade of al-Atroush Mosque (جامع الاطروش) on your left.
Coordinates: 36°11’47.00″N / 37°09’49.00″E
Transliteration Variants: al-Atrush Mosque, al-Atrosh Mosque, al-Otroush Mosque, al-Otrush Mosque, al-Otrosh Mosque
Rating: (4 / 10)