The origin of al-Shayabiyeh Mosque (جامع الشعيبية) is not entirely clear, but the present structure largely dates to 1150 during the rule of Nur al-Din Mahmoud Zenki (نور الدين محمود زنكي). The most interesting feature of this small mosque is the elaborate stone carved decoration over the western façade. Much of this stonework was previously assumed to have originated from an early Roman triumphal arch at this location, but recent research suggests it is actually medieval in origin. The façade features finely detailed Kufic inscriptions and interlaced decoration.
Above the western entrance is a small rectangular minaret, and to the right is a public fountain. An earlier mosque at this site, claimed to be the first mosque built in Aleppo (حلب), commemorated the conquering of the city by Omar bin al-Khatab (عمر بن الخطاب). The mosque is locally known by several other names, including al-Tuteh Mosque (جامع التوتة), al-Omari Mosque (الجامع العمري), and al-Atras Mosque (جامع الأتراس). al-Shayabiyeh Mosque (جامع الشعيبية) tends to be closed outside of prayer times, and the compact interior can only accommodate a few dozen worshippers.
Coordinates: 36°11’55.00″N / 37°09’07.00″E
Transliteration Variants: al-Shuabiyeh Mosque, al-Shuabiye Mosque, al-Shuabiyah Mosque, al-Shuabiya Mosque, al-Shuaibiyeh Mosque, al-Shuaibiye Mosque, al-Shuaibiyah Mosque, al-Shuaibiya Mosque, al-Shayabiye Mosque, al-Shayabiyah Mosque, al-Shayabiya Mosque
Rating: (3 / 10)