al-Tuashi Mosque (جامع الطواشي) was constructed in 1372 under Safi al-Din Jouhar al-Alaai al-Tuashi (صفي الدين جوهر العلائي الطواشي), a local Mamluk prince, and was later renovated in 1537. The building features a fairly austere open courtyard with a large fountain. There is a modest domed prayer hall to the south. The lightly decorated octagonal minaret is located on the eastern side of the courtyard. It includes four rectangular windows and is topped by a wooden balcony and roof.
The most impressive feature of al-Tuashi Mosque (جامع الطواشي) is the richly decorated external façade on the southeastern side of the building. The main entryway into the courtyard features a remarkable example of muqarnas and other elaborate stone work. The façade also includes several recessed window frames decorated with colonnettes. One of these is topped with a windswept Corinthian capital. The mosque is generally only accessible during prayer times. Unfortunately, al-Tuashi Mosque (جامع الطواشي) has suffered damage as a result of the 2013-2014 armed conflict in Aleppo (حلب) and will require restoration.
Getting There: al-Tuashi Mosque (جامع الطواشي) is located approximately five hundred meters south of the main entrance to the Aleppo Citadel (قلعة حلب) in the direction of Bab al-Maqam (باب المقام), the southern gate to the old city. It is about two hundred and fifty meters southwest of al-Atroush Mosque (جامع الاطروش). It will be on the right (northwest) side of the street when approaching from this direction.
Coordinates: 36°11’41.00″N / 37°09’43.00″E
Transliteration Variants: al-Touashi Mosque, al-Tawashi Mosque, al-Tuwashi Mosque, al-Tavashi Mosque
Rating: (3 / 10)