The Armenian Catholic Church (كنيسة الأرمن الكاثوليك) is located on the northern side of Farhat Square (ساحة فرحات) in the historic Jdeideh (جديدة) neighborhood of Aleppo (حلب). Construction of the church began in 1823 and was completed by 1832. This was during the reign of Sultan Mahmoud II (محمود الثاني), who had eased a number of restrictions placed upon Christians by the Ottoman Empire, including a prohibition on the building of churches. His reforms also led to increasing prosperity among the Christian community of the city, whose merchant class benefitted from growing trade with Europe.
Economic disparities created tensions between the Muslim and Christian communities of Aleppo (حلب) that culminated in anti-Christian riots on October 17th, 1850. The historic neighborhood of Jdeideh (جديدة) saw significant destruction, with Ottoman records showing six hundred and eighty-eight homes, thirty-six shops, and six churches damaged, including the Armenian Catholic Church (كنيسة الأرمن الكاثوليك). Dozens were killed, and hundreds of Christians subsequently emigrated to Beirut (Lebanon) and Izmir (Turkey). The church was later restored.
While the Armenian Catholic Church (كنيسة الأرمن الكاثوليك) is relatively modern when compared to other churches in the Jdeideh (جديدة) district, it is worth a visit while exploring the area. It is a fairly humble church with a simple timber roof. The complex also includes an elementary school.
Getting There: The Armenian Catholic Church (كنيسة الأرمن الكاثوليك) is located in the western section of the historic Jdeideh (جديدة) neighborhood of Aleppo (حلب), just northwest of the Maronite Cathedral of Saint Elias (كاتدرائية القدّيِس الياس) and Farhat Square (ساحة فرحات), approximately one hundred and fifty meters west of the central Hatab Square (ساحة الحطب).
Coordinates: 36°12’26.00″N / 37°09’18.00″E
Transliteration Variants: None
Rating: (3 / 10)