The Greek Catholic Church of Our Lady (كنيسة السيدة للروم الكاثوليك) is one of the largest churches in the historic Jdeideh (جديدة) neighborhood of Aleppo (حلب). Construction of the church began in 1834 and was completed by 1843. This was during the reign of Sultan Mahmoud II (محمود الثاني), who had eased a number of restrictions placed upon Christians by the Ottoman Empire, including a prohibition on the building of churches. His reforms also led to increasing prosperity among the Christian community of the city, whose merchant class benefitted from growing trade with Europe.
Economic disparities created tensions between the Muslim and Christian communities of Aleppo (حلب) that culminated in anti-Christian riots on October 17th, 1850. The historic neighborhood of Jdeideh (جديدة) saw significant destruction, with Ottoman records showing six hundred and eighty-eight homes, thirty-six shops, and six churches damaged, including the Greek Catholic Church of Our Lady (كنيسة السيدة للروم الكاثوليك). Dozens were killed, and hundreds of Christians subsequently emigrated to Beirut (Lebanon) and Izmir (Turkey). The church was restored in 1852 after sectarian tensions had subsided.
While the Greek Catholic Church of Our Lady (كنيسة السيدة للروم الكاثوليك) is relatively modern when compared to other churches in the Jdeideh (جديدة) district, it is worth a visit while exploring the area. The interior is bright and open with high vaulted ceilings, and the chancel features beautifully detailed stone carvings.
Getting There: The Greek Catholic Church of Our Lady (كنيسة السيدة للروم الكاثوليك) is located in the western section of the historic Jdeideh (جديدة) neighborhood of Aleppo (حلب), just south of the Maronite Cathedral of Saint Elias (كاتدرائية القدّيِس الياس) and southeast of Farhat Square (ساحة فرحات), approximately one hundred meters west of the central Hatab Square (ساحة الحطب).
Coordinates: 36°12’25.00″N / 37°09’20.00″E
Transliteration Variants: None
Rating: (3 / 10)