Abi al-Dardaa Mosque (جامع أبي الدرداء) is a small prayer hall built into the northern walls of the Damascus Citadel (قلعة دمشق). Inside is a tomb purported to belong to Abi al-Dardaa (أبي الدرداء). Once a wealthy merchant from Medina (Saudi Arabia), Abi al-Dardaa (أبي الدرداء) converted to Islam after the Battle of Badr. He became a companion of Mohammed (محمد), recording the revelations that the prophet shared with his followers. After the Muslim conquest of Syria, he served as the governor of Damascus (دمشق) under Othman Bin Aafan (عثمان بن عفان). His religious teachings are highly regarded in Islam, focusing on the renunciation of material possessions and the importance of the pursuit of knowledge. It is most commonly believed that he died in Alexandria (Egypt) in 652, when he was seventy-two years old. Other researchers suggest he died in Damascus (دمشق).
The origins of the mosque and tomb are unclear. Archaeologist Carl Watzinger dated the tomb to 1733, suggesting it was built during the Ottoman period as a cenotaph. It seems unlikely that the original tomb, if it was in Damascus (دمشق) to begin with, would have survived through the often turbulent Seljuq, Ayyubid and Mamluk periods. The small mosque is only open during regular prayer times, and the tomb is located on the eastern side of the prayer hall.
Coordinates: 33°30’45.00″N / 36°18’07.00″E
Transliteration Variants: Abu al-Dardaa Mosque, Abi al-Darda Mosque, Abu al-Darda Mosque
Rating: (3 / 10)