Damascus – al-Shadhbakiyeh Mosque
دمشق – جامع الشاذبكية
al-Shadhbakiyeh Mosque (جامع الشاذبكية) was constructed in 1453 and named after its founder, Seif al-Din Shadhi Bek (سيف الدين شاذي بك). The complex includes his tomb and also served as a religious school. The building was restored in 1816 during the Ottoman period, and again in 1986.
The entrance to the mosque, on the eastern side of the building, has a decorated façade including black and white banding and a tall and stalactited doorway that is fairly reminiscent of the nearby al-Sabuniyeh Mosque (جامع الصابونية). A small minaret stands over the doorway. To the right of the entrance the upper floors include balconies similar to those found in the traditional residential buildings throughout the old city.
The entrance leads into an interior courtyard with a small fountain. There is a slightly elevated prayer area to the left (south) and a religious study area to the right (north). The northwestern section of the building has several tombs, including Seif al-Din Shadhi Bek (سيف الدين شاذي بك) and his son. The southwest corner of the building has a domed room.
Getting There: al-Shadhbakiyeh Mosque (جامع الشاذبكية) is located west of the old city of Damascus (دمشق). It is approximately one block south of the more prominent Tankiz Mosque (جامع تنكز), which itself is about four blocks west of the main entrance of al-Hamidiyeh Market (سوق الحميدية).
Coordinates: 33°30’37.00″N / 36°17’53.00″E
Transliteration Variants: al-Shadhbakiye Mosque, al-Shadhbakiyah Mosque, al-Shadhbakiya Mosque
Rating: (2.5 / 10)
Leave a Reply