al-Tinabiyeh Mosque (جامع التينبية) is perhaps the most visually striking of several mosques located in the historic southern neighborhood of al-Midan (الميدان). This mosque was constructed in 1394 for the Mamluk governor of Damascus (دمشق), Seif al-Din Tanibak al-Husseini (سيف الدين تنيبك الحسيني), who ruled the city from 1392 through 1400. Within the complex is a mausoleum containing the benefactor’s tomb, a common practice during the Mamluk and Ottoman eras.
The western façade of the building is particularly attractive, featuring alternating bands of black and white stone including a band of Arabic inscriptions. The higher levels of the façade include several ceramic mosaics in geometric patterns. There are circular mosaic panels located over the windows, but most impressive is the square mosaic panel over the main entrance. This entryway also features muqarnas, and is topped by a small minaret. The building includes two domed halls. The northern dome covers the mausoleum, while the southern dome covers the main prayer hall. The interior has been largely modernized, but is open during regular prayer times and occasionally during religious study sessions.
Getting There: The neighborhood of al-Midan (الميدان) stretches along a single main street beginning at Murad Basha Mosque (جامع مراد باشا) and heading south-southwest. Several historic sites, including al-Tinabiyeh Mosque (جامع التينبية), can be found in this area. After reaching the prominent Bab Masala Square (ساحة باب مصلى), continue south-southwest on al-Midan (الميدان) approximately five hundred meters to the overpass of the southern highway (المتحلق الجنوبي). Continue along al-Midan (الميدان) under the highway and al-Tinabiyeh Mosque (جامع التينبية) will be visible on the left hand side of the road just beyond this point.
Coordinates: 33°29’29.00″N / 36°17’50.00″E
Transliteration Variants: al-Tinabiye Mosque, al-Tinabiya Mosque, al-Tinabiyah Mosque, al-Tinabia Mosque, al-Tinabieh Mosque, al-Tinabiah Mosque
Rating: (3.5 / 10)