al-Toubeh Mosque (جامع التوبة) is an Ayyubid-era mosque located north of the old city of Damascus (دمشق) in the neighborhood of al-Aqibeh (العقيبة). The mosque was originally a caravanserai built during the Fatimid period known as Khan al-Zanjari (خان الزنجاري). al-Sultan al-Malak al-Ashraf Moussa Ibn al-Ayoubi (الملك الأشرف موسى الأيوبي السلطان) ordered the conversion to a mosque as Khan al-Zanjari (خان الزنجاري) had gained a reputation for prostitution and other immoral behavior. The name al-Toubeh Mosque (جامع التوبة) translates to “Mosque of Repentance”. It was the third congregational mosque in the city, built between 1231 and 1234. The mosque was destroyed during the Mongol attack on Damascus (دمشق), but later restored.
al-Toubeh Mosque (جامع التوبة) is built around a large rectangular courtyard with a central fountain. There are covered arcades around the courtyard, with the prayer hall to the south. The interior is somewhat austere in decoration, but includes several stained glass windows. There is a dome over the mihrab and minbar, while the rest of the roof is timber. There is a modest minaret at the northeast corner of the complex.No photos
Getting There: al-Toubeh Mosque (جامع التوبة) is located in the neighborhood of al-Aqibeh (العقيبة). It is roughly three hundred meters to the northwest of Bab al-Faradis (باب الفراديس), one of the northern gates of the old city of Damascus (دمشق), not far north of al-Seida Raqiyeh Mosque (جامع السيدة رقية). Follow the road that runs north of Bab al-Faradis (باب الفراديس). After fifty meters, this road will fork. Follow the left fork which will turn towards the northwest. The mosque will be on the left side after approximately two hundred and fifty meters.
Coordinates: 33°30’55.00″N / 36°18’16.00″E
Transliteration Variants: al-Touba Mosque, al-Tawbeh Mosque, al-Tawba Mosque
Rating: (4 / 10)