Damascus – Seidi Hisham Bin Ammar Mosque
دمشق – جامع سيدي هشام بن عمار
Seidi Hisham Bin Ammar Mosque (جامع سيدي هشام بن عمار) was constructed in 1426-1427 under the Mamluk chancellor of Damascus (دمشق) at the time. The most impressive feature of this mosque is the magnificent octagonal minaret which is decorated with fine muqarnas work, arched windows on four sides, and a balcony at the top. While the minaret of this mosque is in remarkably good condition, unfortunately the interior has been modernized and does not preserve many historic features.
The mosque, which may also be referred to as Mosque of Hisham (جامع ابن هشام), is open during regular prayer times. The entrance is located on the southern side of Madhat Basha Market (سوق مدحت باشا), but the minaret is not visible from here due to the street being covered. The minaret is best viewed from the parallel market street to the south. When exploring this area, also be sure to note the impressive minaret of the Mamluk-era al-Qalai Mosque (جامع القلعي) located about fifty meters to the west. The square design of that minaret provides an interesting contrast of Mamluk architecture.
Getting There: Seidi Hisham Bin Ammar Mosque (جامع سيدي هشام بن عمار) is located in the west of the old city of Damascus (دمشق), on the southern side of Madhat Basha Market (سوق مدحت باشا). It is roughly between Khan Assad Basha (خان اسعد باشا) and Bab al-Jabiyeh (باب الجابية), the westernmost gate of the old city. The entrance to the mosque is within Madhat Basha Market (سوق مدحت باشا), but the minaret is best viewed from the parallel street to the south.
Coordinates: 33°30’31.00″N / 36°18’16.00″E
Transliteration Variants: Seidi Hasham Bin Ammar Mosque, Seidi Hisham Bin Amar Mosque, Seidi Hasham Bin Amar Mosque
Rating: (3 / 10)
Leave a Reply