Damascus – al-Madrasa al-Mershadiyeh
دمشق – المدرسة المرشدية
al-Madrasa al-Mershadiyeh (المدرسة المرشدية) is an Ayyubid-era religious school and mausoleum located in the northern Damascus (دمشق) district of al-Salhiyeh (الصالحية). It was constructed in 1252 in honor of Khadijeh Khatoun (خديجة خاتون), the daughter of Ayyubid ruler al-Maazem Sharaf al-Din Aisa (المعظم شرف الدين عيسى). After her death in 1526, Khadijeh Khatoun (خديجة خاتون) was buried here. The complex is also known as Madrasa al-Khatoun (مدرسة الخاتون).
The building features particularly fine stonework, and the square minaret is the only example surviving from the 13th century in Damascus (دمشق). The burial place of Khadijeh Khatoun (خديجة خاتون) is presumed to be in the domed chamber attached to the southwest of the minaret, though the complex includes several other rooms. The entrance, on the eastern side of the minaret, features Arabic inscriptions above the doorway. The building no longer serves its original purpose as a religious school, and is typically locked. Contacting the office of the Directorate-General of Antiquities and Museums (DGAM) might be required to gain access to the interior.
Getting There: al-Madrasa al-Mershadiyeh (المدرسة المرشدية) is located in the Damascus (دمشق) district of al-Salhiyeh (الصالحية), to the far northwest of the old city on the slopes of Jebel Qasioun (جبل قاسيون). It is about a twenty-five minute walk to the site from the city center. See the map below for the exact location.
Coordinates: 33°31’38.00″N / 36°17’06.00″E
Transliteration Variants: al-Madrasa al-Murshadiyeh, al-Madrasa al-Murshadiye, al-Madrasa al-Murshidiyeh, al-Madrasa al-Murshidiye, al-Madrasa al-Marshadiyeh, al-Madrasa al-Marshadiye, al-Madrasa al-Marshidiyeh, al-Madrasa al-Marshidiye, al-Madrasa al-Mershadiye, al-Madrasa al-Mershidiyeh, al-Madrasa al-Mershidiye
Rating: (3 / 10)
Leave a Reply